MIXED BERRY CHIA SEED JAM (MAKES 1 CUP)
- 1 small bag of frozen mixed berries (about 2 ½ cups)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup (this is used for its binding properties)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats (use certified gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 cup oat flour (can use oats and grind them)
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- scant 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- For the jam: In a medium pot, combine the mixed berries, chia seeds, and maple syrup. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the berries begin break down. Once it looks more like a liquid, use a potato masher and mash the berries until the mixture is smooth and thick. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Transfer the mixture to a bowl place in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes, until cool.
- For the oat squares: In a small measuring cup, mix together the flax seeds and water. Set aside for about 5 minutes until thickened.
- In a large bowl, stir together the melted oil, maple syrup, brown rice syrup, and vanilla. When the flax egg has thickened, stir that in too.
- One by one, stir in the rolled oats, brow rice flour, oat flour, baking soda, and salt until the mixture comes together. It will be slightly sticky, but this is normal.
- Spoon about 2/3 of the oat mixture into the prepared pan. Spread it out with a rubber spatula or place a piece of parchment paper on top of the dough and press it down.
- When the chia jam has thickened and cooled, pour all of it on top of the oat mixture and spread it out evenly.
- Take the remaining 1/3 of the oat dough and crumble it evenly on top of the chia jam.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, uncovered, until the topping is lightly golden.
- Place pan directly on a cooling rack for 20-30 minutes and then carefully lift out the square and place directly onto the cooling rack until completely cooled. Slice into squares.
- Store leftovers in the fridge or freezer.
Author of the blog Happy Healthy Heart, Melissa Ann Haithcock offers personal training and nutritional services and shares her love of cooking through delish, healthy recipes.