Fall has officially arrived and brought with it our craving for warm, comforting dishes. These Spiced Butternut Squash Orange Cups make the perfect fall side or even a great snack. They’re not only delicious and nutrient rich, but they are perfect for packing in a lunch to-go or bringing to a friends fall potluck!
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 cups cooked)
- 3 valencia oranges (makes 6 orange cups)
- ¼ cup orange juice (use the juice from the orange cups)
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon (and more for garnish)
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tbs coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Slice butternut squash long ways and remove seeds with a spoon.
- Add 1 tsp olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper to each side to cover the flesh.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, place squash face down and cook for about 40 minutes or until tender.
- Once the squash is done cooking, flip each side over to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Once the squash has cooled, gently peel off the skin and place it into a mixing bowl.
- With a fork or potato masher, mash squash until relatively smooth.
- Add orange juice, ginger, cinnamon, maple syrup, coconut oil and salt and mix well to combine.
- Using a hand mixer or immersion blender, process until almost totally smooth. We like to leave ours with a few small squash pieces for texture.
- Scoop an even amount of squash mixture into 6 orange cups and serve hot